Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Relay for Life

I've thought long an hard on bringing Relay for Life to our small community in Potterville, MI. I've made a few calls and I hope to get it off the ground for next year. Getting a Relay of this magnitude of the ground is a lot of work, a lot of research, and many many phone calls. But in the end it will be worth it because it will be for a good cause.

Relay for Life has been an organization that I hold very close to me.. After losing both of my grand fathers within 6 months to cancer and how little help there was for them I know that the American Cancer Society is trying their hardest to help those that are going through such terrible times. An the survivors are true testaments while the ones that have lost their lives to cancer show how much more work is still needed, and all that one can hope for is a cure. My one grandfather who I looked up to my entire life was diagnosis with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. He tried to fight it, but died 8 months later. After him passing about 6 months later my other grandfather died from bone marrow cancer. After they passed I started participating with the Relay, dedicating luminaries to both, going out asking for donations, and then walking during the event. To me it was a great outlet knowing that I'm trying to help. Now years later I've moved into a small community that doesn't have a Relay for Life event, a community that really doesn't connect with each other. I'm hoping by bringing in such an event it will help our community awareness and involvement while working towards a great cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment